I am an Audio Director and sound recordist and have accumulated knowledge and experience in audio and communications since my commencement in the broadcast industry in 1986.
Heard of Audio is me. Launched on the 31st August 2012, it follows on from my many years at Perth Soundo. Below is a list of my major work projects over the last 10 or so years.
A selection of work photographs shows different equipment used over the years, or at least me sitting at it .
If you're on free to air in Australia, you need to be OP59 compliant. Anybody producing content for broadcast needs to comply. You would be surprised how many industry people in this country still don't know about this standard and are producing content that does not conform to the loudness standard.
The media has changed. We now give broadcast licenses to philosophies instead of people. People get confused and think there is no difference between news and entertainment. People who project themselves as journalists on television don't know the first thing about journalism. They are just there stirring up a hockey game.
We live in a world where finding fault in others seems to be the favorite blood sport. It has long been the basis of political campaign strategy. It is the theme of much television programming across the world. It sells newspapers. Whenever we meet anyone, our first, almost unconscious reaction may be to look for imperfections.
Henry B. Eyring
When you're young, you look at television and think, there's a conspiracy. The networks have conspired to dumb us down. But when you get a little older, you realize that's not true. The networks are in business to give people exactly what they want.
Television has made dictatorship impossible but democracy unbearable.
We have entered a time when a writer's first idea is his best idea, when the first thing a reporter hears is the first thing that she reports. We live in a time now when we have seen major television networks take video off of YouTube and broadcast it to millions of Americans without verifying whether the video had been fabricated or not.
The standardization of world culture, with local popular or traditional forms driven out or dumbed down to make way for American television, American music, food, clothes and films, has been seen by many as the very heart of globalization.
When Rumsfeld gets up on television and says we have definitive intelligence that Al Qaeda is working with Iraq, how is an ordinary citizen supposed to react? They won't tell you the evidence, and when anyone asks, they say, 'Well, you know: It's secret.'
Television news is now entertainment, and the stories are being written by the people that have a special interest in them.
I think it's brought the world a lot closer together, and will continue to do that. There are downsides to everything; there are unintended consequences to everything. The most corrosive piece of technology that I've ever seen is called television - but then, again, television, at its best, is magnificent.
Perhaps it sounds ridiculous, but the best thing that young filmmakers should do is to get hold of a camera and some film and make a movie of any kind at all.
- Netball 2016
- Basketball 2016-2018
- WNBL 2019
- SportsCom 2017-2020 for AFL
- SportsCom 2018 for Rugby World Series, Perth
- SportsCom 2019 for Global Rapid Rugby, Perth
- FIBA World Cup Qualifier Australia V Iran 2018 (via Gearhouse)
- Super 15s 2007-2017 (via Gearhouse)
- A-League 2007-2017 (via Gearhouse)
- Rugby International 2012-2014 (via Gearhouse)
- A-League 2017-2020 (via NEP)
- Baseball 2010 (via Gearhouse)
- Netball 2015 (via Gearhouse)
- Socceroos v Bangladesh 3rd September 2015 (via Gearhouse)
- Perth Darts Masters 2016-2017 (via Gearhouse)
- Socceroos v Iraq 1st September 2016 (via Gearhouse)
- The Bob Show 2018 (Perth)
- Netball 2017-2018
- Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games IBC Ch7 7 Mate and 7 Main channel.
- Cricket 2018-2019 2nd AD and AA
- Basketball 2019-2020 via IMG
- Netball 2018-2019
- WAFL Colts selected season games 2020
- SBL Womens and Mens selected season games and finals 2020
- AFLW 2018, 2019 (via Gearhouse)
- WAFL 2015-2016
- Golden Slipper 2018 (via Gearhouse)
- The Footy Fix 2014-2015 (via OutWest) - also providing equipment
- Hopman Cup 2013/2014, 2015 (via Tennis Australia)
- Sportstar Awards 2010-2018 (via JCMedia and OutWest)
- Flashpoint 2019-2020
Audio Director and Post Production
- Christmas Pageant 2012-2014, 2017-2018 (via OutWest)
- Christmas Pageant 2016 (via OutWest)
- ANZAC dawn service 2014
Post Production and Location Sound
- City to Surf 2012, 2013 (via OutWest)
- Basketball 2014-2017 (via Gearhouse)
- Swimming Championships 2012 (via Global)
Audio Director 2
- Big Bash Cricket 2018-2019 (via NEP)
- Seven Perth Telethon 1986-2018 (for OutWest, previously JCMedia and Seven Network)
- Aired on Channel 7 Perth, 2010-2017 - also providing equipment
- Hopman Cup 2016-2019
- Fed Cup Perth 2019
- Adelaide International 2020
- ATP Cup Perth 2020
- Asia Cup 2015 Brisbane (via Gearhouse)
- ANZAC day Perth coverage 2017, 2019
- Australian Story 2018
- Q&A November 2019
- MatchCom 2009-2016 for AFL
- Basketball 2012-2015 for NBL.tv - also providing equipment